Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Buy Groceries at Amazon & Save. Broccoli Cheddar Soup Tips How do you keep broccoli cheddar soup from curdling? Curdling in a cream soup usually occurs when the milk or cream is added at too high of a heat.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add milk and bring to a simmer, then stir in cheddar. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth; you'll still have flecks of carrot and broccoli. You can have Broccoli Cheddar Soup using 13 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- It’s 6 Tablespoons of Butter (2 tbls/ 4 tbls).
- You need 1 of medium sweet yellow Onion diced.
- It’s 1 clove of Garlic minced.
- You need 1/3 Cup of Flour.
- You need 2 Cups of Chicken Stock/broth.
- It’s 4 Cups of Half n Half.
- It’s 6 Cups of chopped Broccoli.
- You need 2 of large Carrots peeled and sliced thin (1/16 inch slices).
- You need 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 3/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- You need 16 oz. of medium sharp Cheddar Cheese grated.
- It’s of Saute onion in.
Return to the pot. (Or puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender.) Add the cheese to. Our fan-favorite Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a gateway to childhood. It always brings to mind memories of chilly weekends and scarf-wrapped adventures. Add in the broccoli florets and the shaved carrots.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup instructions
- Saute onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until onions is caramelized and looks translucent..
- Add minced garlic to onions and saute 1 minute max while stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside..
- In a large soup pot with weighted bottom (if possible so soup doesn't stick) add the other 4 tablespoons of butter, flour, and cook on medium heat for approx. 5 minutes while whisking constantly with wire whip until mixture is thickened. This is an important step. If this mixture doesn't thinking properly, soup will not thicken later in the process..
- Slowly add the chicken stock/broth while whisking constantly..
- Slowly add Half n Half while whisking constantly. Simmer on low temp for about 20 minutes..
- Then add broccolli, carrots, and the onions and garlic mixture you set aside earlier. Also add salt, pepper, and cayenne. Simmer for another 20-25 minutes. By this time, soup should have thickened some. Whisk often to break up skim that forms on top of soup..
- Go ahead and stir in most, but not all of the cheese saving some for garnish. Give cheese a chance to melt. (About 1 minute DO NOT use pre-grated cheese! The flavor is just not there and that's crucial to this soup..
- At this point, go ahead and serve soup into individual bowls and add a little cheese to the top of each bowl. If you have kids, add a few goldfish crackers to peak their interest..
- Leftover soup can be kept in air tight containers for 1 week only! Warm in microwave. Enjoy!.
Remove half of the soup to a blender. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the broccoli, broth and beans; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Healthy broccoli cheddar soup packed with carrots, broccoli, garlic, and cheese. If you like Panera's broccoli cheddar soup, this blows the pants off it.