My Big Cottage Pie ?. Products you need for this recipe. Cast iron casserole dish – a big strong casserole dish is the first port of call when it comes to kitchen equipment for this cottage pie recipe.; Colander – an essential item for every kitchen; Potato ricer – the best way to get smooth lump-free mashed potato is to use a potato ricer. Drain potatoes; mash with milk and butter.
There are many variations of the recipe, but the defining ingredients include minced or ground beef with onions (and sometimes other vegetables) in a gravy. This DELICIOUS Cottage Pie is made with a mixture of ground beef, ground sausage, and mixed vegetables in a delicious gravy and baked under a layer of fluffy mashed potatoes. This traditional English dish is a close relative to Shepherd's Pie only it's made with beef instead of lamb. tatrapedia.com – You can have My Big Cottage Pie ? using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of My Big Cottage Pie ?
- You need 750 g of Minced Beef.
- It’s 1 of +1/2 cups chopped onions.
- You need 1-2 of Carrots diced.
- It’s 1 cup of Peas (petit poìs).
- It’s 3 of beef stock Cubes.
- You need 1 of veg stock cube.
- Prepare 1 of + 1/2 Pints boiling water.
- You need 2 of kl Potatoes boiled and mashed ready.
- You need 1 tbls of butter.
- Prepare of And 1/4 cup milk.
- It’s 2 of heaped tbls Corn flour/Starch, mix in 4 tbls cold water.
After Thanksgiving I love to use leftover mashed potatoes (and even turkey) to make this cottage pie recipe. I elevated my cottage pie just a little bit by asking the butcher at my supermarket to grind short ribs for me instead of picking up the usual ground chuck or sirloin. That little luxury that paid off big time in flavor. In fact I'm now officially obsessed with ground short ribs, and I'm already planning an epic burger post, so stay tuned..
My Big Cottage Pie ? step by step
- Add oil to the pan then add onions after 2 minutes add the minced beef. And cook until all meat is coloured.
- Add more Black pepper and the 3 beef stock cubes and boiling water add the peas and 2 tbls Balsamic vinegar. Mix bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes..
- Add the diced small carrots..
- When the potatoes are cooked strain them then mash add butter and milk and they should be nice and creamy. Set aside..
- Preheat the oven on 180°C. Thicken the meat with cornflour in a little water. It does need to be thick so the mashed potatoe sits on top..
- Add the meat mix to a large ovenproof dish greased which is about 3 inch depth. Leave the meat to cool right down in the ovendish. My dish size is about 8 x 6 inch. If its too much just half the ingredients..
- Potatoes all creamy and cooling down. Just spoon the potatoes in the 4 corners of the meat dish then opposite sides then fill it all in by gently pulling the mash over the lot. Then when its done using a fork run it along the length lifting bits up so they go nice and crisp on top. Also add a little salt..
- Oben bake for 20 minutes.
We're making a classic shepherd's/cottage pie with ground beef, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, corn, peas, herbs, potatoes, butter, sour cream, and just a touch of soy sauce and tomato paste to bring everything together and give the pie an extra boost of flavor. To bake or not to bake Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Overall, this recipe is pretty close to the orignial. Not sure why you would want to add cinnamon to a traditional cottage pie. Cottage pie came out great, my family raved about it and everyone fought for seconds.