Takoyaki. Takoyaki (たこ焼き or 蛸焼) or "octopus balls" is a ball-shaped Japanese snack made of a wheat flour-based batter and cooked in a special molded pan. It is typically filled with minced or diced octopus (tako), tempura scraps (), pickled ginger (beni shoga), and green onion (negi). The balls are brushed with takoyaki sauce (similar to Worcestershire sauce) and mayonnaise, and then.
Takoyaki is a very casual fast food in Japan. It might not be easily found at Japanese restaurants in the US or other parts of world even though it is a very popular dish. Takoyaki tastes a little bit like round shaped Okonomiyaki, but it has a much different flavor from the Tako (octopus) cooked inside them. You can have Takoyaki using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Takoyaki
- It’s 150 g of Takoyaki batter.
- Prepare 1 of Egg.
- You need 450 ml of water.
- It’s 50 g of octopus.
- Prepare 5 g of red pickled ginger.
- You need 4 of greenonions.
- Prepare 10 g of small pink shrimps.
- You need 15 g of Tempra scraps (agedama).
- You need of Toppings.
- You need of Takoyaki sauce.
- Prepare of Dried green seaweed (aonori).
- Prepare of Dried bonito.
Takoyaki is a Japanese term for "octopus grilled/fried," and they are a very popular yatai (or mobile street food) snack. These lightly fried octopus balls have a crisp outer shell with a soft and moist center filled with pieces of octopus, pickled ginger, green onions, and crunchy tenkasu (or tempura pieces). Takoyaki are a Japanese street snack that originated in the city of Osaka. They are little round balls of batter that are slightly crispy on the outside and a bit soft and gooey on the inside, stuffed with a little nugget of octopus, tempura bits, and green onions.
- Cut octopus into bite size pieces. Dice the greenonions and red pickled gingers into small pieces..
- Combine water, egg and Takoyaki batter in a bowl..
- Heat the Takoyaki pan over midium heat and using a brush, generously oil Takoyaki pan..
- Pour the mixture to fill each hole of Takoyakipan..
- Place a piece of octopus. Add the greenonions, red pickeld gingers and small pink shrimps on the mixture. You can even overflow the batter out of the hole to make it easier to flip them later..
- When the bottom of the balls has hardened slightly, break the connected mixture between each ball with skewers. Then turn each piece 90 degree, stuffing in the edges as you are turning..
- Turn another 90 degree just form into round shape..
- Keep doing this until it becomes golden brown..
- Place Takoyaki in a plate and sprinkle dried green seaweed,dried bonito and Takoyaki sauce on the top..
People say that this dish originates from Osaka. Many restaurants and stalls in Osaka focus on this dish, and in various festivals throughout Japan, takoyaki stalls are a common sight! Street festivals are a common sight in Japan. Takoyaki is one of the most popular street snacks in Japan, aside from onigiri rice balls. Little roadside stalls can be found everywhere, ready to serve up a batch of takoyaki when you need it most.