Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. Scrumptious Crock Pot Recipes To Make Any Meal A Success With Kraft®, Try Today! In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until lightly browned. How to make Southwest Chicken Soup in the Slow Cooker: Combine onion, peppers, jalapenos, white beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, beer, and chicken stock in a slow cooker (<-my fave!), then add taco seasoning.
To put a Southwestern spin on a healthy slow-cooker chicken soup, we built a flavorful base by skillet-browning our aromatics in a small amount of oil. This gave us the full robust flavor and complexity we were. Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe Variations vegetarian – substitute black or pinto beans for the chicken and vegetable broth (affiliate link) for the chicken broth veggie rich – add more veggies, carrots, celery, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, lima beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. You can cook Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- It’s of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- Prepare of water.
- Prepare of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- It’s of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- It’s of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- You need of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- You need of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- You need of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- Prepare of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- You need of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- It’s of cumin.
- Prepare of dried oregano.
- Prepare of bay leaves.
- Prepare of kosher salt to start.
- Prepare of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- It’s of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- Prepare of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- You need of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
My chicken and corn were both frozen when I stated my slow cooker. Once soup is fully cooked, take chicken breast out and shred it with two forks. Just before serving add a package of softened cream cheese to slow cooker. Stir until melted and combined together.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup instructions
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
If you have used raw chicken breast remove them from the slow cooker and shred. Combine all ingredients except chicken and broth (if using) in slow cooker. Lay chicken on top and cover. Before serving remove and shred chicken. When the time is up remove the cooked chicken onto a plate.