Japanese Cabbage Okonomiyaki Pancake. Okonomiyaki is a Japanese cabbage pancake blanketed with toppings. The batter is so simple-eggs, flour, baking powder, and good old S&P. It's traditionally flavored with dashi, an essential base.
This Okonomiyaki version is made without 'dashi powder'/seafood stock. You can also find the recipe for Okonomiyaki sauce for topping the pancakes below. Okonomi means "how you want it," and an okonomiyaki is one of the world's most infinitely adaptable dishes. You can cook Japanese Cabbage Okonomiyaki Pancake using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Japanese Cabbage Okonomiyaki Pancake
- You need of flour.
- You need of egg.
- You need of water.
- Prepare of cabbage.
- You need of spring onion.
- You need of fried onion.
- You need of crab sticks.
- It’s of egg.
- Prepare of Korean seaweed flakes or dried Bonito flakes.
- It’s of Mayonnaise.
The shredded or chopped cabbage in the base is a given, but beyond that, you can add whatever you'd like to the batter. This savory, Japanese-style pancake is traditionally loaded with cabbage. Louis' version uses quickly brined cabbage and a thin batter for maximum crispiness. Togarashi (also called Japanese Seven Spice) is available at Asian markets and some supermarkets.
Japanese Cabbage Okonomiyaki Pancake step by step
- Mix flour and egg with water. And fry 3/4 of Okonomiyaki Pancake mixture with a little of vegetable oil..
- First cabbage, spring onion, crab sticks and egg..
- Put fried onion and 1/4 Pancake mixture..
- Turn over Okonomiyaki Pancake. Using lid is easy..
- Push and make good round shape..
- Fry with low heat for about 10 minutes covering with lid. And turn over again. Fry until the surface is crispy..
- Put Korean seaweed flakes or dried bonito flakes..
- Put mayonnaise and eat with any sauce you like..
Crisp on the outside and custardy in the center, okonomiyaki are pan-fried Japanese pancakes that traditionally feature a filling of cabbage and pork belly. Mix flour and water together in a bowl until smooth. Stir in cabbage, bacon, eggs, sausage, green onions, shrimp, cheese, and tenkasu. Okonomiyaki, translated as "grilled as you like" is a savory Japanese cabbage pancake (or some might call it Japanese pizza) made with lots of cabbage, some pancake batter and topped with several other ingredients. The cooked okonomiyaki is then topped with some delicious okonomiyaki sauce and served with Japanese mayonnaise.