Shepherd's Pie. Check Out Ground Beef Shepherds Pie On eBay. Fill Your Cart With Color Today! Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
Yes, shepherd's pie is predominantly thought of as Irish or British. But since I'm Scottish, I thought I'd give it a unique twist to suit my ancestral tastes. The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor. You can cook Shepherd's Pie using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare of 2-4 Pounds- ground beef (I normally use 2 lbs).
- It’s of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
- It’s of Sweet whole kernel corn.
- It’s of Shredded colby-jack cheese (or use the type of cheese you desire).
- Prepare of potatoes.
- Prepare of Milk.
- You need of Salt and pepper.
Spread potatoes evenly over beef; using a fork, decorate potatoes with lines and peaks. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. In England, the birthplace of this hearty dish, shepherd's pie is most often made with a ground-lamb filling.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Preheat oven to 375°F and get out a 13×9 baking dish..
- Start a pot on the stove for your potatoes. Fill it about 3/4 full with some hot water to speed up the boiling process. (You can use instant potatoes if you prefer.).
- Next, get a skillet or frying pan going with the beef in it. While waiting for the ground beef to brown, cube your potatoes and dump them into the pot when it's boiling..
- Empty your cream of mushroom into a bowl and add enough milk in to make it a nice somewhat thin creamy mixture. (Don't make it so thin that it's like water.) Pour that evenly over the beef..
- Evenly pour the corn over the soup mixture..
- Sprinkle however much cheese you want..
- Lastly, when you're done preparing them add the mashed potatoes. *To make it easier, what I do is plop all the potatoes in the middle. Then use a rubber spatula to start in the middle and without lifting ur spatula, drag the potatoes to the edge of the dish. When you get to the edge, clean your spatula using the dish's edge and that way it also seals the top at the same time 🙂 (If you start lifting your spatula before you get to the edge of the dish, you'll lift your cheese up and it'll make a mess.).
- Set the timer for 20-25 minutes. Everything is already cooked so all you're doing is heating everything up..
In the States, people use ground beef, which is what we call for here. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. This shepherd's pie features the traditional minced lamb, but from there the recipe takes things in a sweet-and-savory direction. "This is a Moroccan take on shepherd's pie," says Maryam. "With lamb and turmeric simmered with cinnamon, raisins, and sweet potato. This dish also looks pleasant and each happy eater gets their own ramekin!" The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie – AKA Shepards Pie or Cottage Pie.