Texas Sheet Cake. The Texas sheet cake is so moist and the icing so sweet that everyone who samples it wants a copy of the recipe. —Susan Ormond, Jamestown, North Carolina Texas Sheet Cake Recipe photo by Taste of Home If you love chocolate, and we mean really truly love, then this classic Texas sheet cake is exactly what your sweet tooth craves. Between the scratch-made cake and the decadent homemade frosting, this dessert is a chocolate lover's dream come true. This is hands-down my all-time favorite cake!
Texas Sheet Cake is a recipe that is passed down from generation to generation—for good reason! Texas Sheet Cake is a Southern specialty. Recipes for this cake are passed from generation to generation—and for good reason! You can have Texas Sheet Cake using 17 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Texas Sheet Cake
- You need 2 cups of granulated sugar.
- It’s 2 cups of unsifted flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking soda.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 2 of eggs.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 2 sticks of butter.
- It’s of Icing ingredients:.
- You need 1 stick of butter.
- You need 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Prepare 1 lb of powdered sugar.
- Prepare 6 tablespoons of buttermilk.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped pecans.
This cake is incredibly easy to make, and calls for simple pantry ingredients. In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. While cake is baking, make the icing.
Texas Sheet Cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit..
- Generously grease and flour a large sheet pan. 17 1/4"x 11 1/2" x 1". I use the aluminum disposable type..
- Set aside first 4 ingredients in mixing bowl..
- Melt butter and add cocoa and water. Bring to a boil and pour over first 4 ingredients. Beat until smooth..
- Add remaining ingredients blending throughly. Pour into prepared sheet pan..
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Prepare icing as soon as you remove cake from oven..
- Bring 1 stick butter and 4 tablespoons cocoa powder to a boil. Add following ingredients..
- 1 lb powdered sugar.
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk.
- 1 tsp vanilla.
- 1 cup chopped pecans.
- Stir throughly and spread over warm cake..
Texas Sheet Cake is the perfect party dessert as it both feeds and pleases a crowd. This recipe for Original Texas Sheet Cake with Buttermilk is based on everything the classic cake was meant to be: Super chocolatey, decadently moist and tender, and topped with gooey, fudgy icing. I prefer this type of pan because it results in a thinner cake with a thin layer of chocolate frosting, and it's perfect for feeding a crowd. In this cake, we're using half brown sugar and half white sugar, and doubling the cocoa. It makes it extra rich and chocolatey!