Vegetable Packed Okonomiyaki. Combine cabbage, zucchini, carrot and scallion whites in a large bowl. Sprinkle with rice flour and salt and toss to coat. Beat eggs in a small bowl, then pour over the vegetables and stir until evenly combined.
Whisk together to form the pancake batter. Add the soy sauce, pureed ginger, and plenty of black pepper, then add the finely shredded cabbage, carrot and spring onions. What is Okonomiyaki Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a savory Japanese pancake that's typically made with cabbage, meat or seafood and held together with an egg-based batter. You can cook Vegetable Packed Okonomiyaki using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegetable Packed Okonomiyaki
- Prepare 100 grams of Okonomiyaki flour.
- Prepare 1 of Egg.
- You need 120 ml of Water.
- You need 100 grams of Onions.
- It’s 60 grams of Potato.
- Prepare 100 grams of Cabbage.
- You need 10 grams of Tempura crumbs.
- It’s 1 of Vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 of Green onion, mayonnaise, mentsuyu.
- Prepare 1 of Shichimi spice.
With a few substitutions, it's easy to make Okonomiyaki plant-based, and I actually prefer the texture of eggless Okonomiyaki. Vegan Okonomiyaki is a savoury Japanese pancake made with yamaimo, rice flour, cabbage and tenkasu, topped with delicious okonomiyaki sauce and Japanese mayonnaise. Learn how to make this popular Japanese street food right in your own kitchen! Today, I'm finally getting around to sharing one of my favourite Japanese street foods: Okonomiyaki!
Vegetable Packed Okonomiyaki step by step
- Slice the onion thinly across the grain, then cut in half. Chop the cabbage roughly..
- Peel the potato, and julienne to 4 cm long. Soak into a bowl of water..
- Put the okonomiyaki flour, egg and water into another bowl and mix with a whisk until there are no lumps. Add the onion and cabbage and the tempura crumbs..
- Mix so that the batter coats the vegetables well..
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan. Pour in 1/2 of the Step 5 batter..
- Set the heat to low-medium. Turn in the edges of the pancake to make it nice and round, and press the middle lightly to form an indentation. Cook for 3 minutes..
- When the pancake is golden brown, top with 1/2 the drained potato and turn the pancake over. Cover with a lid, turn the heat down to low, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes..
- When the pancake has puffed up nicely and the other side has also turned golden brown, turn it over one more time, cook for another 1-2 minutes and transfer to a plate. Cook the other pancakes in the same way..
- Top the pancakes with diagonally sliced green onion and mayonnaise. Eat while dipping in mentsuyu noodle dipping sauce. It's also delicious sprinkled with some shichimi spice (optional)..
Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) or 'fried/grilled-as-you-like-it' is such an iconic dish that it is sometimes referred to as a 'Japanese pizza' or 'Japanese pancake'. These nicknames disguise the fact that okonomiyaki is packed with vegetables and therefore, I think, relatively healthy. Be the first to rate & review! Okonomiyaki, a Japanese pancake, is a wonderful Japanese 'street food' made from a batter with shredded cabbage (a must) and other assorted shredded vegetables. By The Viking Bunny In Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki, layers of fried vegetables, meat, seafood, noodles, and eggs top a thin flour pancake.