Fried corn succotash. Lima Beans, Peppers, And Corn Is All You Need To Create A Delicious Succotash Side Dish. Makes it easier to cut your corn off the cob. While bacon is cooking cut up your peppers and onions.
Corn season is a thing of beauty, adding color to our frying pans and sweet flavor to our dinners. Swirl in the oil by adding it to the sides of the. The additions of okra, diced tomatoes, fried onions and roasted corn add the flavors of the South that are both comforting and familiar. You can have Fried corn succotash using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fried corn succotash
- It’s of corn.
- Prepare 1/2 of green pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 of red pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 of red onion.
- You need 1/2 of white onion.
- You need 3 of cobs of corn.
- You need 1 packages of frozen okra.
- You need 1 can (8 oz) of can of tomato sauce.
- You need 1 can (14.5 oz) of stewed tomatoes.
- It’s 2 slice of bacon.
- Prepare 1 stick of butter.
- You need 1 of salt.
- Prepare 1 of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1 of onion powder.
Succotash is a simple dish thats celebrated best during the garden season in the South; the beautiful colors and fresh flavors are just perfect. The classic definition of succotash is an equal mix of sweet corn and lima beans. However, this dish has taken on all sorts of modifications throughout America with corn remaining the only constant. Some recipes add bacon, onion, garlic, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes or other veggies.
Fried corn succotash step by step
- Shuck and boil your corn cobs in salted water for about 10 mins. Makes it easier to cut your corn off the cob..
- Fry 2 to 3 strips of bacon in cooking oil. While bacon is cooking cut up your peppers and onions..
- Use a fork to chop up bacon. In the same pan that you cooked the bacon put your onions and peppers in and start to sautee along with the bacon. I like to use a cast iron skillet. Feel free to use any large cooking skillet. Also feel free to leave out bacon for a vegetarian recipe..
- Add salt, pepper and onion powder to vegetables and bacon. I like some red pepper flakes to balance the sweetness. I was heavy on the red pepper flakes..
- Take your corn off the heat and run under cold water. Let cool and cut your corn off the cob. Add to skillet with other ingredients. Keep stirring and let your ingredients mix well..
- Add your stick of butter a very small amount of water and turn your heat way down on your pan and cover. This helps your corn to soften up..
- Take your okra out the freezer and slice. Much easier to slice them frozen. I didn't use the entire bag I only used about a quarter of the bag or about 10 pieces..
- Add your sliced okra to your skillet, your can of tomato sauce and your can of stewed tomatoes with liquid. Do not drain them..
- Check the flavor and addore salt, pepper and onion powder to desired taste. Keep the flame low and simmer for about another 45 mins. Stir occasionally. I like to serve mines over white rice with sweet corn bread on the side. Enjoy!!.
Others add cream, cream cheese, or other cheese. Skillet Succotash Recipe – You'll need these ingredients. I've got fresh okra and a few fresh tomatoes that a friend just shared with me. It would be nice to have fresh corn and Lima beans as well, but these frozen ones will work pretty well. I'm also using a fresh Vidalia Onion while they are still in season.