Onion soup au gratin. Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one. A classic French onion soup is not complete without its crown of bread and gratineed cheese. This method has the onions slow-cook in the oven, which, while time intensive, requires little effort.
Cook onions until they begin to soften. Saute the onion until they are light brown. Add the flour to the onions and mix in well. tatrapedia.com – You can cook Onion soup au gratin using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Onion soup au gratin
- You need 2 dozen of Bermuda onions.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of flour.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of butter.
- You need 11/2 quarts of strong beef stock.
- Prepare of Salt pepper Parmesan cheese.
- Prepare of Celery salt.
- It’s of Paprika.
Add the onions to a large stock pot and the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer. Make the soup: In a large saucepan cook the onions in the butter and oil with sugar, salt and pepper to taste over moderately low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft. Heat the butter and oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
Onion soup au gratin step by step
- Peel onions under water slice thin fry in butter until brown.
- Add flour mixed with butter to onions.
- Add stock cook in double boiler.
- Serve hot with grated cheese and paprika.
If the onions aren't browning, turn the heat up. Easy French Onion Soup is a classic soup made with onions and a meat-based broth. It's typically topped with a slice or two of crusty bread and served au gratin– sprinkled with grated cheese and browned on top. The soup tastes slightly sweet, thanks to the caramelized onions, and savory — thanks to the herbs, beef broth and garlic. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.